Today I'm sharing a quick and easy, kid-friendly family favorite: Chicken Caruso. I've been eating this meal since I was a kid, and now my kids love it, too. My favorite thing about this recipe? When the kids hear what's for dinner, they say, "Yay!" instead of, "But I don't like that!"
Hopefully, this recipe will make mealtime more pleasant at your house too! It's quick, easy, and can be made with leftovers. (The best part for a mom with a Celiac kiddo? The only ingredient needed to make it gluten free is gluten-free pasta.)
- 1-1 ½ c macaroni (I used Heartland Gluten Free Fusili Pasta, but any pasta will work)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-8 slices of bacon--regular or turkey (cooked and crumbled)
- 1-2 c cooked cubed chicken (leftover rotisserie chicken works great)
- 1 c (or more) cooked peas
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook and drain pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, cook peas and fry bacon and onion together. (Turkey bacon cooks much more slowly than onions. If you use turkey bacon, cook the bacon partially before adding the onions.) Drain grease and return to pan. Add cooked macaroni and remaining ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix well, and reheat if necessary.
Before we get on with the party, have you seen some of my other yummy gluten-free recipes? The images below are linked: