Today I'm sharing a fun and easy Father's Day gift idea. Unfortunately, the pictures are absolutely terrible! This is a great example of what happens when you take pictures with horrible lighting and then let your hubby take the gift to work before you check to see how they turned out. One of these days, I'm going to sneak into my hubby's office and take some decent pictures of the project! So, try to ignore the pictures and focus on the fun gift idea.
This Father's Day gift idea is really simple. All you need is a photo, Modge Podge, a paint brush and a floor tile. (I bought my tile at Lowes, but I have since seen similar tiles at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for really cheap. That's where I'd go if I were doing the project again.) My tile is just over 12x12.
- Have your 12 x 12 photo printed with a Matte finish.
- Wash and wipe dry the front of the tile to remove loose dust.
- Using a wide brush, coat the back of the photo with modge podge and center it on the tile. Slide your hands from the center to the edges to smooth the photo out.
- Allow to dry.
- Using the wide brush, paint Modge Podge over the photo and top of tile from the top to the bottom of the photo. Allow to dry and repeat with another coat of Modge Podge--painting from right to left or left to right. (After it is dry, it will give the photo a canvas textured look.)
- Add a cute picture holder, and you're done.
To see a photo tutorial of the process (and a newer version of the project), visit my more recent Father's Day Photo Gift post.
(This is what the photo actually looks like without all the glare and harsh shadows. I blurred out my kids' names.)
The template for my collage photo came from a really talented designer here, but her template freebie is no longer available.
*Good news! In 2013, I decided to create another photo tile gift for my hubby, and I created a template that you can download!
Click here to see the other fantastic sites I like to link up with each week.