I hope you had a chance to read yesterday’s post about Setting Technology Limits for Kids. As promised, today I’m sharing the Technology Token System that I use to make the kids accountable for their time with technology. And, of course I’m including a free printable!
I’ll start by telling you how the system works, and then I’ll teach you how to put the printable together.
The Technology Token System
- Each child gets a chart that has 8 pockets and 4 technology tokens.
- The top four pockets make up the “Token Bank” and the bottom four pockets make up the “Redeemed” area.
- Once the children have completed their work for the day, their four tokens start in the token bank. Be sure to see yesterday’s post to find out why the kids have to earn their tokens.
How to redeem tokens:
- Each token has a time amount assigned to it. Our tokens are worth 1/2 hour of technology time. The tokens start over in the “Token Bank” every day. I don’t let the kids save unused tokens, and they have never asked about it.
- Once they have earned the tokens by completing their daily tasks and chores, they can choose to redeem a token by checking with Mom or Dad and then setting the timer for 30 minutes and moving a token down to the “Redeemed” portion of their chart.
- When their tokens are all gone, they have no more time for that day.
Interestingly enough, my kids have yet to spend all of their tokens. I think that after using one they might immediately want to use another, but that hasn’t happened yet. They never want to use the last one early in the day, so inevitably, they never use the last token!
And the best part? The other night, I couldn’t get my youngest girls (who share a room) to quiet down and go to bed. After going in their room over and over, I finally said, “If I have to come in here one more time, I’m taking away one of your tokens for tomorrow!” They instantly clammed up and went to sleep! It worked again tonight! AWESOME!
Putting Together the Charts
- Printable file (download link is provided in this post)
- Card stock or heavy paper
- Pocket laminator and laminating pockets or access to a copy center or library that offers laminating services
- Craft knife
- Craft glue or glue tape
- Magnets (optional)
Let’s get started!
- Download and print the free Technoloy Token System Printable on card stock or heavy paper. (Click on download image below.)
- Cut the main chart along the light gray line to create three separate charts.
- Choose the pocket colors you like, and cut out each pocket carefully along the outside edge of the black lines. (Go ahead and mix colors on the chart if you like. It’s up to you! I let the kids pick the color they wanted.)
- Place a tiny bit of glue along the bottom edge of a pocket and stick it on the corresponding grey pocket outline on the main chart. Don’t use a lot of glue. The pocket only needs to stick a little bit until the chart is laminated. If there is too much glue, the tokens won’t go into the pockets.
- One all the pockets are lightly attached, laminate the charts. (You can’t skip this step. Sorry!) I use a pocket laminator similar to the first one in the widget below. I love the ease of laminating without having to leave the house! If you don’t have one, most copy centers and some libraries offer that service.
- Cut out the laminated charts leaving a border of plastic around all edges.
- Using a craft knife carefully slit the laminating film across the top of each pocket. Don’t cut through any card stock. You are only slitting the plastic.
- Slide Tech tokens into the top four pockets of each chart.
- Post the charts and get started! (I attached magnets to the back of the charts and stuck them on the side of the fridge.)
Good luck! Here’s to a summer full of fun!
I hope this idea is helpful to you and your family! I love to create motivational printables. You might like some of these as well. (Images below are linked.)
Thanks for stopping by. See you again soon!