White chocolate popcorn is one of my favorite Christmas treats. The chocolate, salt and popcorn are such a yummy combination. Also, something about popcorn in a recipe makes me feel like I'm consuming fewer calories. Am I right? I decided to tackle making it myself this year, and I love the results! With festively colored white chocolate, this recipe is perfect for neighbor gifts, too.
Delicious White Chocolate Popcorn from Scratch
Here's what you need to create this tasty treat:
- Candy melts (I used red and green, but you can make this with any color)
- Sea Salt
- Pop your desired amount of popcorn and remove any unpopped kernels. (I use an air popper for fewer calories, but you can also cook the popcorn on the stove.)
- Spread the popcorn in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and sprinkle it lightly with sea salt.
- Place 12-15 candy melts of one color in a small ziplock bag. Microwave the chocolate 30 seconds at a time on defrost or low power until the chocolate is mostly melted. Carefully knead the chocolate inside the bag to finish the melting process. (Don't burn your fingers!)
- Snip off one of the bottom corners of the bag. (The smaller the snip, the narrower your stream of chocolate will be.) Gently squeeze the chocolate from the bag and coat the popcorn in swirls. (I start in one corner and work across the cookie sheet.)
- Pause periodically to sprinkle sea salt onto the wet chocolate. Once the chocolate dries, the salt will have nothing to stick to.
- Repeat the process with a second color of chocolate and more salt. (I start in a different corner and work across the cookie sheet again to create a crisscross pattern.) The salt accents the sweet taste, so don't skip it!
Visit my Frosted Rice Krispie Treats recipe post for more detailed directions and pictures for melting and squirting the chocolate.
The second time I made this recipe, I used much more chocolate and put my swirls closer together than in the picture above. The more chocolate the better!
- Transfer your cookie sheet to the fridge or freezer to harden the chocolate.
- Remove the popcorn from the fridge or freezer, and gently break up the popcorn. Serve immediately, or transfer it to clear gift bags to share with your friends, family and neighbors.
That's it. Chocolate-y deliciousness! Enjoy.
Thanks for stopping by today. While you're here, please check out more amazing holiday recipes.
The images below are linked to posts, so click on them to pay a visit.