Are your kids dying of boredom this summer? Get them out of the house and trying something new with Frisbee Tic-Tac-Toe! Most kids know how to play tic-tac-toe and throw a frisbee, so why not combine the two for a non-traditional spin on some classic fun? I shared this idea several weeks as a guest post on another site, and now I'm sharing it here in case you missed it!
This game was originally played last summer at our family reunion, but I'm giving you the plans to create this fun game in your own backyard.
- At least 8 frisbees. You can buy 2 colors of frisbees at the dollar store (4 of each), or just use the frisbees that you already own and mark them in some way so that they match. (Maybe duck tape X's and O's?)
- 1 heavy shower curtain or tarp (*You might be able to skip this. See below.)
- Colored duck tape or masking tape
Using duck or masking tape, create a tic-tac-toe grid on a sturdy shower curtain or tarp. We used a dollar store shower curtain, and it was a little too flimsy. We had to use rocks to hold down the edges. (*You can create the tic-tac-toe board right on the ground and skip the tarp altogether.)
If you are using a tent tarp with those handy little grommet holes along the edges, you can even stake it down to keep your board nice and smooth (and to keep it from blowing away!)
How to Play:
The object of the game is the same as regular tic-tac-toe. The first team to get three of their own frisbees in a row on the board wins the game.
- Divide the players into teams. (You can play one-on-one or with teams.) Each team gets a single color (or style) of frisbee.
- Teams take turns throwing a single frisbee toward the board (hoping to actually land in the square they aimed for).
- The game is over when one team has landed three of their frisbees in a row onto the board (up-and-down, across, or diagonally).
- For younger players, allow the kids to get the frisbee onto the board any way they can. (Toss, roll, etc.)
- Use a giant tarp to create a huge board for a large group.
If frisbees from different teams land in the same square, you have a two choices:
- Continue play and allow either team to claim that square with three in a row.
- The new frisbee knocks the old frisbee out of play.
I hope you and your family have a great time with this game!