Last year, our family started the best Christmas tradition ever! Since our extended family often gets together for the holidays (with 24 people in one house), we are always on the lookout for meaningful activities to do together each night for Christmas devotionals. This year, two of my sisters brought handbells, and a new tradition was born! Today I'm sharing printable Christmas handbell music for five popular carols.
Before I share the music, I've got to tell you more about our fun tradition!
Christmas Handbell Tradition
- Handbells or Boomwhackers -- enough that each person can have one bell (The music is for the set of 8.) You don't need to buy the most expensive set of bells. My set was around $20, and it works just as well as my sisters' more expensive sets.
- Printable music (1 copy for every 2 people) -- get the download later in the post
- Family and friends ready to have some fun!
*If you are working with kids, be sure to give a little bit of instruction before you pass out the bells. Tell what you expect. (For example: Please leave the bell on the ground in front of you until we are ready to play. Don't bang the bells together, etc.)
- Give instructions.
- Pass out the bells and handbell music sheets.
- Practice. Help everyone understand how to read the music and when and how they should ring their bell.
- Sing while you play. The notes on the printable show the correct timing, but you don't need to be able to read music to play the bells. If you sing while you play, it will help everyone play with the correct timing.
- Trade bells once in a while. Some bells aren't used very often. (Adults who are not too excited about handbells might be perfect for those bells. But, really, who doesn't get excited about ringing a bell? It's so much fun!)
Download your free Christmas handbell music
Ready to download your Christmas handbell music? I've included five songs: Away in a Manger, Jingle Bells, Joy to the World, Silent Night, and Silver Bells. Silver Bells is definitely the most advanced. Try that one after your family has lots of practice.
I've included a color version (pictured above) and a black and white version. Choose the printable Christmas handbell music version that works best for you.
Thanks for stopping by today. Be sure to check out more fun ideas for Christmas by clicking on the images below. Images are linked to posts.