I finally figured it out! This year, I had my best crop of broccoli ever. And, of course, all ten heads were ready at the same time! So, what do you do when life gives you broccoli? You make broccoli salad, of course! And I must say, this is the best broccoli salad ever!
Can you believe I've already made it twice this season? My family decided they had eaten enough, so the rest of the broccoli is patiently waiting in the freezer while I come up with more yummy recipes! (I'll share how to freeze broccoli soon.)
Summer Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cashews
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 10 strips bacon (cooked crisp and crumbled)
- ¾ cup medium cheddar cheese (shredded)
- ½ cup red onion (chopped)
- ½-3/4 cup cashews
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 cup light mayonnaise (You can use regular, but it tastes great with light)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 T red wine vinegar
- Prepare the salad ingredients and combine them in a large bowl. If you don't have quite enough broccoli, you can stretch it by using the stems. Here's the secret to making them taste just as yummy as the florets: Cut the pieces you want to use, then peel off and discard the tough outer skin. Go on. Taste it. Yummy, right? I hate to waste good food, so I usually use the stems regardless of whether or not I need to stretch the salad.
- Mix the dressing ingredients well (I like to use a salad dressing shaker), and pour it over the salad. Mix well and chill. There is more than enough dressing. (Depending on your taste, you may use less. I use a little less, or I add more broccoli and use all of it.)
So, here are a few tricks and substitutions:
- Do not reuse half of a red onion that you have been storing in the fridge! It will be too strong and overpower the entire salad. Yep. Been there, done that!
- If you don't love cashews, try sunflower seeds instead. Or, leave out the nuts entirely (but you'll be missing out).
- You can substitute turkey bacon. I'm a big fan of turkey bacon, but I admit that in this salad, real bacon is better.
- If you are trying to cut calories, use light mayo, turkey bacon, and less cheese. Use about ¾ of the dressing. (That's how much I use anyway.)
Last, but not least . . . enjoy! I hope you love it!
Ready for some more yummy recipes? (Images are linked.)
Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you'll be back soon.