My kids love pizza. And, since I can pretty much count on them asking for it every year for birthday dinner, I decided to turn it into a fun tradition. Happy Birthday Pizza makes dinner even more special. It’s really just plain old homemade pizza spiced up with a special birthday message, but the kids love that it’s personalized just for them. Ready to learn how to make it?
Happy Birthday Pizza
You will need:
- One recipe of your favorite pizza crust (or a store bought prepared crust)
- Your favorite pizza sauce (reserve 1/4 cup for use later)
- Toppings of your choice — including ham, pepperoni, red or green pepper strips or some other meat or veggie that can be cut into strips for decorating
Here we go! Let’s make it!
- Prepare the crust according to your recipe directions. (If your crust is gluten-free, don’t forget to bake it partially before adding the toppings. Every once in a while, I forget, so that reminder is mostly for me!) The pizza crust below is a gluten-free crust. You can probably tell that it is already browned on the edges.
- Top the pizza with sauce and a small sprinkling of cheese. (You can skip this layer of cheese if you want. You’ll be adding quite a bit later!)
- Add your toppings. (Save some for creating letters.)
- Top with enough cheese to hide all of the toppings.
- Pour some pizza sauce into food squirt bottle (ketchup and mustard bottles work well). Draw your message onto the pizza with the sauce.
- Slice pepperoni and ham into strips to create letters. If your family likes green or red peppers, they’d work well for creating letters, too. Using the sauce as guidelines, create your message with the food strips.
- Bake the pizza according to your recipe directions and serve!
- Enjoy the happy faces of your kids!
I get to make one of these special pizzas this week for Boo, who’s turning 9. What are your birthday traditions?
You might like some of these birthday ideas as well. Images below are linked.
Have a great week!