When you ask most kids about their favorite Christmas gift, they'll probably tell you about a favorite toy or electronic gadget. Not my kid. What was Bear's favorite gift this year (age 11)? A roll of zebra print duck tape. Yep. I said duck tape. (Also known as Duct Tape--see note at the end of the post.)
You see, she used to be a Barbie fan, so her Barbie scooter was perfect for her. Now, she's growing up, and Barbie has been passed on to her sisters. Since her scooter was in great shape, we weren't willing to buy a new one. (I know, I know . . . I'm a horrible mother, right?) In an effort to teach frugality, we decided to give her scooter a makeover instead. Bear wasted no time and insisted we start the makeover immediately -- on Christmas morning!
Ready for the transformation? The scooter was definitely in need of some TLC and a more grown-up look!
The makeover was super easy!
- One roll of patterned Duck Tape
- One roll of coordinating solid Duck Tape
- Xacto Knife or Box Cutter
- Black Sharpie Marker
- Cover bottom, front wheel cover, middle bar and handles with patterned Duck Tape. (Just stick it on and trim it with the Xacto knife.)
- Cover brake and hinge portion with contrasting solid Duck Tape. (Add some extra solid near the handles if you wish.)
- Color small pieces that don't match with a black sharpie. (We colored the folding lever and the thin edges of the front wheel cover.)
Done! Now that you have the best-looking scooter in the neighborhood, go take it for a test run!
(In case you're wondering why Bear's head is cut off in all the shots, it's because she only agreed to let me take pictures if I didn't show her face. Getting her to pose for a picture is like pulling teeth! In fact, pulling teeth might be easier! How long does this pre-teen thing last, anyway?)
For all of you geeks like me who are wondering about Duck Tape vs Duct Tape, I looked it up! Turns out that Duck Tape is the original term, but both names are correct. If you want to "get your geek on," you can read all about it here.
Check out these posts to see more magical makeovers:
While you're here, don't forget to check out One Creative Weekend (open for new links every Friday-Wednesday).
This post was featured here: